The Department was created out of the Business Department in 1999 as a result of Departmental restructuring in the Polytechnic.It is the Department developed and introduced the Electronic Faculty Management System which allows students to register their semester’s courses online and check their result on-line. This has been developed further and being used by all Departments. It is also being used in the sale and submission of admission forms.
The Mission of the Department is to provide career focused education and training at both tertiary and non-tertiary levels, with emphasis on experience and entrepreneurship development to fill clerical and middle-level manpower needs of the country.
The objectives of the Department are to:
- Train students to be intermediate Typist/Stenographers.
- Train students to be middle level Secretaries, Accountants, and Administrators.
- Provide opportunity for staff to obtain higher qualifications such as Postgraduate Studies and other Professional Studies.
The following are courses offered in the Department:
- HNDSecretaryship and Management Studies.
- Diploma in Business Studies. (Accounting, Secretarial, Marketing, Purchasing and Supply and Management)
- Advanced Business Certificate Examination (ABCE) formerly RSA III.
- General Business Certificate Examination (GBCE) formerly RSA II.
Service to the Community
The Department has been organizing seminars and management training for the administrative staff of Berekum Holy Family Hospital.