A SPEECH BY MINISTRY OF EDUCATION ON THE OCCASION OF THE 1ST CONGREGATION OF SUNYANI TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY ON SATURDAY, 11TH FEBRUARY 2017 AT THE SUNYANI TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY CAMPUS
SPEECH BY MINISTRY OF EDUCATION ON THE OCCASION OF THE 1ST CONGREGATION OF SUNYANI TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY ON SATURDAY, 11TH FEBRUARY 2017 AT THE SUNYANI TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY CAMPUS
The Executive Secretary, NCTE & Chairman of Congregation,
Vice Chancellor, Sunyani Technical University,
Members of the past Interim Council, Sunyani Technical University, Past Council Chairmen present,
Interim Vice Chancellors and Rectors of Sister Technical Universities, and Polytechnics,
Members of Convocation, Nananom, Members of Staff, Friends from the Media, Students, Distinguished Invited Guests,
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am pleased to be here this morning on the occasion of the 1st Congregation of Sunyani Technical University. I believe it is an occasion worth recognizing for celebration. I extend to you greetings from the Ministry and the Honourable Minister for Education, Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh.
Following the dissolution of Boards and Councils of Public entities in accordance with the Presidential Transition Act, 2012 (Act 845), the Ministry of Education has initiated processes for the reconstitution of all Boards and Councils under its purview. On this note, the Ministry has requested all Universities, Technical Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education to submit the names of constituent representatives on their various Councils in line with the respective Acts through the NCTE. It is the expectation of the Ministry that this exercise would be accorded the needed urgency it deserves. We also wish to entreat Management to ensure that the relevant representatives are well consulted and the right caliber of people are selected to represent the Councils.
The Ministry is committed to the conversion process of Polytechnics to Technical Universities. We are pleased to hear that following the Match-Making Exercise in Germany in the latter part of 2016, most Technical Universities have made follow up actions and entered into MOU’s with respective Universities of Applied Sciences in Germany and also made other partnership initiatives. Government will assist the Wa and Bolgatanga Polytechnics to be converted to Technical University status. We are also pleased with the progress of work at Wa Polytechnic through the facilitation of the Interim Management Committee. The Polytechnic has now appointed substantive Rector, Registrar and Finance Officer.
Government will pay the Book and Research Allowance and in addition establish a Research Fund. A provision of Fifty Five Million has been made in the 2017 budget to pay the Book and Research Allowance and plans are in place to establish a Research Fund to enhance academic research.
Government remains committed to abolish the payment of utilities by students. We are also aware of disconnections by the Electricity Company of Ghana and Ghana Water Company Ltd on Public Tertiary Institutions. The Ministry in collaboration with the NCTE and the Tertiary Institutions will enter into special negotiations with the utility companies to find lasting solution to the problem.
Distinguished Invited Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen,
Report of the Auditor General into the finances of Public Tertiary Institutions have not been very encouraging. We therefore urge Management of these institutions to be abreast with the new Public Financial Management Act 2016, (Act 921) to ensure effective management of public finances to guarantee the effective utilization of funds to enhance teaching and learning. The Ministry also wish to remind Public Tertiary Institutions on the usage of Internally Generated Funds in accordance to the law regulating it and to ensure compliance.
Mr Chairman, Distinguished Invited Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Technical Universities are meant to position Technical Vocational Education as a driver of economic prospects. Government remain committed to Technical Vocational Education as it will be the bedrock of Government’s one district, one factory initiative. We therefore appeal to all and sundry to support government in this endeavour.
Government also wish to reiterate the need to ensure that the campuses provides the right atmosphere to promote academic work. We therefore urge all stakeholders on campus to partner the Management of the Institutions effectively to ensure the realization of this feat.
The gap between academia and industry/the world of work remain an issue of public interest. Government would therefore do its best possible to engage industry to foster the right partnership to create jobs for our teaming youth and graduates.
In line with the 2016 Manifesto pledge, Government remain committed to restore allowances paid to teacher trainees of the colleges of education.
Mr Chairman, Distinguished Invited Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen, let me take this opportunity to congratulate the Sunyani Technical University for the progress they have made so far. We assure them of government support to attain their vision and objectives for the Institution.
To our dear graduands, we congratulate you for your hard work. It is our hope that the knowledge you have acquired will be useful not only for your personal ambitions but also to prepare you adequately to offer the necessary assistance to our dear country. We entreat you to be abreast with governance issues and to position yourselves adequately to support your community and the country when called upon.
On behalf of the Ministry of Education, we express our appreciation to be part of this event and request all relevant stakeholders to continue to support Government in the provision of quality tertiary education.
Thank you and God bless you.
VACANCY FOR POSITION OF RECTOR
The position of Rector of Sunyani Polytechnic will become vacant on 31st August, 2016. Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified persons for appointment to the position of Rector, Sunyani Polytechnic.
- The Rector is the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Polytechnic, and is accountable to the Governing Council as the academic and administrative head of the Polytechnic.
- The Rector is the Chief Disciplinary Officer of the Polytechnic, and exercises a general authority over both staff and students, subject to the Polytechnic Act, 2007, Act 745, and Statutes of the Polytechnic.
- The Rector provides leadership in achieving the strategic objectives, the vision and mission of the Polytechnic, with the view to promoting academic and professional excellence, in line with the mandate of the Polytechnic education in Ghana.
- The Rector is also responsible for prudent Financial Management and Human Resource Management of the Polytechnic.
The Candidate must:
- be of professorial status and must have PhD/Doctoral degree in the field of Engineering, Manufacturing, Commerce, Applied Sciences and Arts, or Social Science;
- have at least ten (10) years working experience in a Senior Management position in a tertiary institution, industry or any relevant public service organization;
- possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills with proven capacity to motivate, manage and direct staff;
- be visionary, result-oriented and able to establish rapport with industry for Academic and Professional advancement of the Polytechnic;
- be of proven integrity and have a drive for sound judgment;
- show capacity for marshalling resources such as grants and funds needed tocarry out the vision of the Polytechnic through creativity and innovation;
- be able to project effectively the image of the Polytechnic both internally and externally; and be able to serve at least four (4) years before attaining the compulsory retirement age of 60 years.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
- The appointment will be for four (4) years in the first instance, and may be renewed for a further term of two (2) years only.
- Salary and fringe benefits attached to the post are attractive.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Applicants are to submit six copies comb bound of the following to the address below:
- An application letter;
- Curriculum Vitae including names, postal and email addresses of three (3) referees; certificates; and
- A three to six paged statement on the applicant’s vision for Sunyani Polytechnic and key strategies for achieving it.
Application should be in sealed envelopes marked ‘FOR POST OF RECTOR’ and submitted by courier to:
Search Committee for Rector
C/O The Registrar
P. O. Box 206
Candidates should request their referees to write directly to the above address under confidential cover. The closing date for receipt of applications is Thursday, 30th June, 2016. This advert can also be found on our website www.spoly.edu.gh.