VC, Prof KWADWO ADINKRA SPEECH AT THE INAUGURATION OF SUNYNANI TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY
"... Rationale behind the conversion of Polytechnics into Technical Universities by the government..."
- To redirect technical/vocational education to train students from the Technical Universities to acquire high level technical skills to drive the country’s economy and national development agenda,
- To contribute to raising the quality and competitiveness of the Ghanaian workforce by providing opportunities for company employees to upgrade their skills and acquire new skills,
- To reduce the admission pressures on the traditional universities,
- To provide academic progression avenue for technical and vocational students,
- To curb the growing phenomenon of academic-type “top-up” programmes for HND graduates from the traditional universities and,
- To provide opportunities for Technical and professional skills development, applied Research and Publication of Research findings.
MIN OF EDUCATION: CONGRATULATION SUNYANI TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY AND GRADUANDS
"To our graduands...We entreat you to be abreast with governance issues and to position yourselves adequately to support your community and the country when called upon...."
Mr Chairman, Distinguished Invited Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Technical Universities are meant to position Technical Vocational Education as a driver of economic prospects. Government remain committed to Technical Vocational Education as it will be the bedrock of Government’s one district, one factory initiative. We therefore appeal to all and sundry to support government in this endeavour.
Government also wish to reiterate the need to ensure that the campuses provides the right atmosphere to promote academic work. We therefore urge all stakeholders on campus to partner the Management of the Institutions effectively to ensure the realization of this feat.
The gap between academia and industry/the world of work remain an issue of public interest. Government would therefore do its best possible to engage industry to foster the right partnership to create jobs for our teaming youth and graduates.